What is Title 24 Compliance?

View our Title 24 LED Troffers/Panels
What is Title 24?

Title 24 is a collection of energy standards that address the energy efficiency of new (and altered) homes and commercial buildings. Since 1978, California residents are required to meet the energy efficiency standards contained in Title 24, Part 6 of the California Code of Regulations. Because energy efficiency reduces energy costs, increases reliability and availability of electricity, improves building occupant comfort, and reduces impacts to the environment, this has made a big impact on the how lighting and other home fixtures are used in California.

As these standards are important and necessary for California’s energy future, the goal of the California Title 24 energy standards is the reduction of energy use to benefit all. Homeowners save money, California has a more secure/healthy economy, the environment is less negatively impacted, and electrical systems are more stable.

California’s building efficiency standards have saved more than $70 billion in electricity and natural gas costs since 1978.

How does it affect lighting?

All homes and commercial buildings must achieving Title 24 compliance in California. Any new homes, or the remodeled part of new homes that require building permits, are also subject to these standards.

Within these standards includes guidelines for lighting. According to Title 24, at least 50% of the wattage in the kitchen must be consumed by high-efficacy lighting, which usually includes LEDs and fluorescents. To qualify as high-efficacy, light fixtures must be certified by the manufacturer to the California Energy Commission and can’t contain a socket that allows low-efficacy lighting, such as an incandescent. LED fixtures must offer a minimum of 90 on the color-rendering index (CRI), which measures crispness and color accuracy. Also, the color temperature must range between 2700-4000k for indoor use.

High-efficacy lighting is also defined as:

  • 15 watts or less: Minimum of 40 lumens/watt
  • 15 to 40 watts: Minimum of 50 lumens/watt
  • More than 40 watts: Minimum of 60 lumens/watt

As exhibited, it is very important for Californians to follow these standards when proving lighting for their homes and buildings. Moreover, light fixtures with Title 24 compliance are ideal for any home in order to assure energy efficiency. You can find more information about the current Title 24 standards here.

9 thoughts on “What is Title 24 Compliance?

  1. Leviticus Bennett says:

    Like you mentioned, all homes and buildings must achieve Title 24 compliance in California. I think it’s important to point out that this includes existing homes and not just new ones. I’m going to have to get some new light fixtures probably. Although it might cost a little initially, I like that in the long run I’ll be more energy efficient.

  2. Sam Rothenbaum says:

    We have a 1969 home that we are remodeling, adding a room and enlarging a bathroom. Does Title 24 only apply to those two rooms.

  3. Camille Devaux says:

    I love the fact that there are ways that you can save money. It makes a lot of sense that you can make sure that you are saving energy as well. My sister would love knowing this as she looks into the California title 24. https://title24.us/

  4. Gillian Babcock says:

    My dad has a business and he wants to make sure that he’s following the energy compliance. It was discussed here that there are energy standards that need to be met. Moreover, it’s recommended to hire professional contractors when dealing with energy compliance. https://www.reschecknow.com/services

  5. Kathryn and Richard Lorenz says:

    We are engaging a company to repair ductwork for our HVAC.They told us that they will not do a pressure test to confirm that all leaks are repaired (reasonably and within compliance for Title 24), when the work is completed. We have a mobile home built in 1975, residing in Pleasanton, CA. How do we get the testing done? If there are programs to provide the testing without charge to seniors and those with disabilities, please let us know.
    Thank you

  6. Rose says:

    Do I need a title 24 report to put in a Viking stove and hood? It will replace an electric stove.

  7. Jeremiah Doran says:

    How does this apply to homes in historical districts? Five of the seven windows, which are not original, do not open. The other two are aluminum windows in a 1917 craftsman home on the front of the house.

  8. Joyce says:

    Are T24 energy calcs required on reserved locations?
    I’ve read that residential calcs are not required for reserved locations however we have a plan checker asking for NRCC-PRF-e forms for a firestation. does this only apply to non-residential buildings?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *