If you’re in the market for a Garden Composter and can’t decide between the plethora of choices, this blog is for you. The most basic decision to make is between a Compost Bin and a Compost Tumbler. One way to make the choice easier is to think about it in terms of whatâ€™s important to your lifestyle:
- Time to Finished Compost â€“ Are you an impatient gardener? Want to start enriching your soil this season, already? Then youâ€™ll want a compost tumbler for sure. The frequent turning exposes composting material to a much higher dose of oxygen, which breaks it down in record time so you can harvest your compost in a matter of weeks instead of months or even years in a traditional bin. For the ultimate in speed try a continuous composter like the ones made by SunMar. These allow you to harvest finished compost without waiting for the whole pile to age.
- Time Spent By You â€“ Neither option will take up a ton of your time, but the compost tumbler will likely save you a minute to an hour here and there.
- Ease of Use â€“ If you enjoy working outside and have a strong back, you may prefer a traditional compost bin. If youâ€™d rather spend your time outside relaxing, consider a composting tumbler. Itâ€™s much easier to turn a crank than to wrestle a pile of rotting vegetable matter with a pitchfork. Plus, with the tumbler youâ€™re working with gravity rather than against it when itâ€™s time to harvest your â€œblack gold.â€
- Appearance â€“ Both compost bins and compost tumblers come in attractive models. Itâ€™s a matter of personal taste.
- Animalsâ€“ Raccoons are cute, but not when theyâ€™re rummaging through your compost pile. Most compost bins allow easy access to rodents, skunks and other critters. Tumblers have to be built tightly to keep the compost in during turning â€“ which has the added advantage of keeping animals out!
Your new composter is likely to be your gardening pal for years to come. It pays to think about your lifestyle preferences while deciding which model to bring home â€“ it may make the difference between an enjoyable hobby and a chore!