GU24 is rapidly gaining popularity with energy efficient fixtures. You can find them just about anywhere: in outdoor fixtures, downlights, pendants, ceiling fixtures and more.
What are GU24 Lamps
GU24 Base bulbs are a different base than the standard screw base CFL bulbs. GU24 lamps have 2 pins protruding from the base instead of the usual screw in base. The pins insert into the fixture and they twist and lock into place. GU24 base bulbs are self ballasted i.e. the ballast portion of the bulb is already attached to the bulb and is easy to replace.
Benefits of GU24 Lamps
- These bulbs are not wattage dependent so you can easily change the wattage of the bulb, unlike pin base bulbs which require the socket to be changed for different wattages of bulbs.
- Standard GU24 Bulbs are interchangeable between manufacturers unlinke pin base bulbs. So you are not tied to a particular manufacturer.
- GU24 bulbs are self ballasted i.e. the ballast portion of the bulb is already attached to the bulb and is easy to replace.
- The overall length of the bulb is shorter since the ballast and the bulb are in one unit
- These bulbs are very energy efficient. The majority of fixtures they go into are Energy Star. With all these advantages, GU24 Lamps are definitely going to become more prevalent in homes and offices.